AMA motocross results: 250 class Millville – Jett Lawrence on top!
After an intense opening lap that saw Justin Cooper go down while leading and hold Jett up just enough to let Hunter by, the Lawrence brothers then took the race by storm and went bar to bar all moto but it was Jett who, with two laps to go, made the crucial pass as Hunter got infuriatingly held up by lapped traffic at the worst possible time! Despite his best efforts on the final lap, Hunter couldn’t make the pass on Jett as the younger brother again took the win. “I had to be better around the lappers,” said Hunter after the moto.
Jo Shimoda had a blistering ride through the top ten to take third on the last lap over top American, the impressive Max Vohland who had his best ride of the year but the Aussies were 30 seconds ahead of the Shimoda/Vohland duel!
🔥What a battle for the Lawrence brothers in 250 @ProMotocross Moto 1 at Spring Creek!
— FloRacing (@FloRacing) July 16, 2022
Hunter Lawrence has to be frustated. After taking the lead on lap one in race two with Jett on his tail it was looking like another Lawrence brother battle until a crash further down the field meant a red flag and all the riders had to go back to the gate for a restart!
This time Hunter didn’t get away well, coming around turn one in tenth as Jett started second and worked his way quickly into the lead passing Justin Cooper. From there Jett controlled the gap to second, now Jo Shimoda, as H. Lawrence worked his way up the field, but he could only get back to fifth, causing more championship points damage on a day that he had a big chance for 1-1 if things had went his way! But yet again it was Jett with his sixth overall win of the year, smiling atop the podium.
“I had no need to send it.” said Jett Lawrence before admitting he thought about pushing more to practice for racing a 450 next year!
“It was a rough one,” admitted Hunter on the second moto. “I sucked off the gate, I was struggling in the end, I was pretty tired. Jett is crushing it.”
250 Class Overall Results (Moto Finishes // Points)
- Jett Lawrence, Australia, Honda (1-1 // 50)
- Jo Shimoda, Japan, Kawasaki (3-2 // 42)
- Hunter Lawrence, Australia, Honda (2-5 // 38)
- Justin Cooper, Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y., Yamaha (6-3 // 35)
- RJ Hampshire, Hudson, Fla., Husqvarna (5-4 // 34)
- Max Vohland, Sacramento, Calif., KTM (4-6 // 33)
- Seth Hammaker, Bainbridge, Pa., Kawasaki (8-7 // 27)
- Ryder DiFrancesco, Bakersfield, Calif., Kawasaki (13-8 // 21)
- Pierce Brown, Sandy, Utah, GASGAS (12-9 // 21)
- Carson Mumford, Simi Valley, Calif., Suzuki (16-10 // 16)
250 Class Championship Standings (Round 7 of 12)
- Jett Lawrence, Australia, Honda – 311
- Hunter Lawrence, Australia, Honda – 284
- Jo Shimoda, Japan, Kawasaki – 266
- Justin Cooper, Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y., Yamaha – 232
- Levi Kitchen, Washougal, Wash., Yamaha – 180
- Seth Hammaker, Bainbridge, Pa., Kawasaki – 178
- Michael Mosiman, Sebastopol, Calif., GASGAS – 169
- Stilez Robertson, Bakersfield, Calif., Husqvarna – 169
- RJ Hampshire, Hudson, Fla., Husqvarna – 166
- Max Vohland, Sacramento, Calif., KTM – 162